Friday, November 5, 2010
Here is a recipe that is perfect for chocolate lovers like myself. It is sure to satisfy any chocolate craving. It's not too sweet but it is very rich! It is a torte that doesn't have any flour in it (the egg is what gives it the texture - which I might add, is very creamy and delicious) so it is perfect for those on a gluten-free diet.
I looooved it with a scoop of ice cream on top! Or it would be great with fresh whipped cream or berries.
16 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup (1 cube) butter (or butter substitute)
5 large eggs, separated
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon almond extract (optional)
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1. Heat oven to 250 degrees and spray a formspring pan with cooking spray, then dust with cocoa powder.
2. In 2 qt saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate with butter until fully blended. Remove from heat.
3. In small bowl, combine egg yolks with vanilla and almond extract.
4. Mix egg yolk mixture to chocolate mixture until blended.
5. With a mixer at high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
6. Beat sugar into the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
7. Fold beaten egg whites into chocolate mixture 1/3 at a time.
8. Pour batter into pan and spread evenly.
9. Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick almost comes out clean.
10. Let cool and dust with powdered sugar. Slice into wedges.