Saturday, November 27, 2010

Easy Black Bean Dip


This is a super easy recipe and I was surprised out good it turned out! You can opt for canned or fresh beans but I 100% suggest making them fresh. It is not that hard to cook beans people! I used to be a canned girl until I realized how much better they taste fresh. Just soak them all day and simmer for a few hours. I will probably share my bean cooking method in another post.
This bean dip is quite tangy and is good to serve with chips or add it to nachos!

A helpful tip - if you are using home-grown jalapenos like I did, do NOT touch the insides with your bare hands! I made this mistake and my hands were burning for 3 days. Please wear gloves =)


You will need:

Food processor
2 cups cooked black beans
1 yellow onion (chopped)
1/2 a bunch of cilantro
1 tbsp cumin
1 lime (juiced)
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 jalapenos (more if you like a little extra spice) - seeded
1 clove garlic (crushed)
1 medium tomato (chopped)
1/2 a small red onion (chopped)
Salt (to taste)

1. Fry onion with a little oil in a medium frying pan. Cook them on medium heat, stirring occasionally until caramelized.
2. Stir in the cooked beans and cumin and let simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat.
4. In food processor, add cilantro, vinegar, lime juice, garlic and jalapenos.
5. Add bean mixture and process until smooth. Add salt to taste.
6. That's it! Top with tomatoes and onion.
7. Enjoy =)

No comments:

Post a Comment